Sunday, October 26, 2008

Touching Base

For close to a week now, I've had very little time to be on the computer. I'm so thankful to my daughters for keeping everyone up to date about Misha's surgery. During our hospital stay, many people encouraged me to go home for an occassional rest. Even though I appreciated their concern, I felt that I needed to demonstrate my steadfastness to this young boy who has only known abandonment through his life.

Hannah, Misha and Stephanie

Misha is now at home and doing very well. His pain is kept to a minimum and he's back to cracking jokes with us all. I love how he makes jokes even in his distress. To give you an example of his humor; The second night after Misha's surgery, Philip, Stephanie, Hannah and I were all sitting with him and talking. Since his amutation, there is a good two foot clearance from the foot of his bed. Hannah got a little tired of standing so she very carefully sat down on the end of the bed. Misha immediately raised his head and said, "Ouch, feet! Hannah, you sit on feet!" terrified that she had somehow hurt him she stood up and then smiling he replied, "Joke, Joke!" And persuaded her to sit back down.

Holding a bag of candy he received as a gift

The amazing thing about Misha is even during this horribly painful time for him, he still found something to joke about. His quick wit keeps all of us on our toes.

My initial goal was to document each day in Misha's life, so that we could watch the progress he made along the way. I've come to realize that my expectations were unrealistic. At present, I'm nursing him around the clock with pain medication to be given every four hours and tylenol in between. Normally, I would blog after everyone is in bed but these days I'm trying to sleep whenever there is a free moment.

Asleep on our couch

I hope to get back on top of things soon. I've received so many wonderful blessings and know that it has been because of all of your prayers. I can't wait to share all that God has been teaching me. Thank you for your patience.

6 comments:

Laurel said...

One of my blog readers took Misha's story and picture, and put it on her blog. Word is spreading ...

check out: http://devenougesfamily.blogspot.com/

Blessings,

Laurel

Laurel said...

Don't worry about us blog readers. Your daughters are doing a good job of updating. You are right where you need to be, by Misha's side.

We had a young one in ICU a few years back and I never came home, nor did I keep up with emails etc.. I left that to the "big girls" of our family.

Laurel
mama of 13

Life in Fitzville said...

So glad he is doing well. I just posted your story on my blog as well... Prayers continue.

http://lifeinfitzville.blogspot.com/

busymomof10 said...

Melissa, I just love reading the updates on Misha! He has stolen my heart from afar, so I can't imagine how much you all have grown to love him! I wanted you to know that I posted about Misha on my blog today. Hopefully, anyone who visits my blog will check in here and learn more about how they can help Misha stay in your loving home!!! Much love and admiration! Blessings, Elizabeth

Mama of 5 said...

What a beautiful boy. I enjoyed reading his story. God bless you.
Becky

Julie said...

I am sharing this blog with everyone I can. I will join with you in praying for this miracle!!