Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Birthing Pains

On Wednesday, I found myself continually becoming more nervous as the hour approached to pick Misha up from the airport. I began examining my heart over why I was feeling so much anxiousness. I knew it wasn't fear over him coming. After months of prayer and begging God to protect our family, I had a complete peace that if God brought Misha to us, it would be God's perfect will.

Misha reunites with Igor (a boy who came from Russia a couple years ago)


Three people had gone to pick up Misha and another little boy, D'mitry, from Russia. George and Alexandra Goode, as well as, D'mitry's host mother, Dianne Ewing. Alexandra called us around 7:00 pm to let us know that the flight was still on time and that they had arrived safely in Atlanta. She began telling Philip that Misha seemed like a really nice boy and was learning English very quickly. Since Dianne had come to get D'mitry, Misha asked Alexandra why his "mommy Melissa" wasn't there to pick him up. Is it possible for your emotions to be torn in two different directions? Upon hearing this, my heart broke for his disappointment, but at the same time, I rejoiced that he wanted me.

Misha and Igor

I began realizing that my fear was simply wondering if Misha was going to accept me. Could I possibly compete with the "imaginary mother" he has dreamed of for the past fifteen years? My other children hadn't had a choice. They had come into the world loving me and the nurture I could give them.



Misha and our family with George and Alexandra Goode

Slowly, people began departing the plane. I waited and eagerly watched for Misha. After a long wait, I saw the elevator open and his wheelchair coming towards our entrance. There were so many people between us that I was prevented from seeing his face at first. But then, I saw him and noticed his eyes eagerly searching the crowd. As our eyes met, we became fixed upon each other. I pushed through the crowd and began hugging and kissing him. He didn't move or seem to know how to return such affection, but I noticed a sparkle in his eye.

1 comment:

busymomof10 said...

I cried as I read your story of meeting Misha! May God bless you abundantly with all you need -- physically, emotionally, and spiritually -- as you take on his care. I really admire your unconditional love, compassion and selflessness! I know Misha will be Blessed to be a part of your precious family -- and I know you will be equally blessed as you open your home and your hearts to include him! I look forward to reading additional posts about Misha and your family! ~Elizabeth